Sunday, July 20, 2008


HAND TIED QUILT, or JUST KILL ME NOW QUILT! Made by Julie on 7/20/08

I have never made a quilt before. I got a hair-brained idea to try a paper one. It turned out kind of cutely, but with obvious errors. Amazingly it took the most time of any of my other ATC's. I made a pattern (below), and cut out one of my rectangles to cut from all the different colors.

Then I cut each rectangle into 4 parts that had to be mixed and matched. Talk about trouble...trying to keep them all lying on the paper without getting all jumbled up prior to gluing. After they were all glued in place and positioned as best they could be, I punched two tiny holes in each corner (with the needle) where I wanted to do a tie, and brought the string up through to the front of the card and tied the small knots. I can't think of anything else to do to make this look any more quilt-like, so I will consider it completed.
I had planned to make a series of quilt cards, but rather than it inspiring me, it has made me realize that quilting will never be for me...no matter how small.

7 comments:

Eve said...

I love that. The colors work well together. You are my first paper quilt. LOL

Eve said...

Me again. I wonder if you could use those sample paint squares, you get at Home Depot and Lowes..or any paint place? You could pick and choose your colors.

Julie said...

Eve- that is a great idea IF I could ever stomach doing another one of these! LOL.

Aiyana said...

Those paint samples make good backgrounds for various ATCs. I use them all the time. I just cut out the ATC size and avoid the color names. Occasionally I use the side with the names and incorporate it with the ATC theme. Nice paper weight and they are free!
Aiyana

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Julie, when I read how small the ATC is I realized how much work (trouble) this was to make. No wonder you feel like you won't make another. I think quilting itself is a lot of work. I admire those people that can stick with it to make those works of art.

Lynn Cohen said...

Now this is many atcs tied together right? Not one small ATC?
It is inticate and delightful to me who does art quilts. But this is a traditional quilt/patchwork...you can be proud of your work!

I appreciate the info on the paint color cards too. Great idea. Lowe's here I come.

Julie said...

Lynn- this is all done on one ATC card 2.5 x 3.5 (size of a playing card)!